Sunday

Silvering a longcase Dial

They Do come up nice if I don't mind saying so my self some times they can be pigs though as 200 -300 year old brass they used to use has impurity's in the brass, trick is to not have any other substance that can mix with the chemicals while doing it.. Saying that  to get a nice silver finish it needs to be done a few times, just to get a good coating of silver on it.quite enjoy doing them but be warned there is an art to it and its not straight forwards.
The numerals have wax in them so if you don't clean them out nice before you start then reactions with the chemicals you will get.
. I think I heated the dial up on that one as you can fill with wax. The wax cracks and some numerals have no wax. like I said its not just the case of silvering the dials.
when you have done the numerals with wax then you skim it with different grade wet and dry paper.

I have a gadget so you can spin and go around in one circular motion a nice uniform scratch then it gives I say scratch but where talking 1200 grade wet and dry paper so to the naked eye it wouldn't be a scratch.

No comments: